Fauziah Gambus,Wann, Ajai n Nurul,Broery Marantika, Dewa 19, Geisha ,

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Alessandro Volta’s 270th Birthday

Alessandro Volta’s 270th Birthday


















As a
new artist here at Google I was given the exciting opportunity to design the
Doodle for Volta as just my second doodle. This was particularly thrilling
given he was the 18th century Italian physicist, chemist and electrical pioneer
who invented the first electrical battery.


To my surprise this discovery almost came by accident while Volta and his
friend Galvani, an anatomy professor, were dissecting a frog. When the animal’s
legs unexpectedly twitched from an electrical discharge, Galvani went on to
hypothesize that animals generated their own electricity, a theory that would
eventually go on to inspire Mary Shelly’s novel, ‘Frankenstein’. But Volta had
his own theory: that the electrical discharge had been caused by two different
metals touching the frog’s body.

Experimenting
with different metals and solutions, Volta ended up creating the first electric
battery: the Voltaic Pile, a stack of alternating metal discs separated by
cardboard and cloth soaked with seawater. But what made this battery so
remarkable was that it was easy to construct out of common materials and
enabled experimenters for the first time to produce steady, predictable flows
of electricity. Within just weeks it inspired a wave of discoveries and
inventions and ushered in a new age of electrical science.
Having
done my initial research I didn’t want to just settle on using Volta’s portrait
for the Doodle, especially since most of the world wouldn’t recognize him. I
wanted instead to represent his accomplishment.


Digging into visual research I looked first for images of his inventions, then
wider to other scientific equipment of the time. WIth an interest in graphic
design I also looked to designs of the period and was especially inspired by
the intricate and ornate details of some early Victorian posters for their
dimensionality and dynamic layout.
With
this inspiration I quickly thumbnailed out some sloppy sketches experimenting
with different concepts and compositions. Some of these I turned around into
quick value compositions in Illustrator to share with my fellow Doodlers. My
original thinking was to show different devices being powered by the battery,
but the concepts felt too busy and distracted from the battery itself.
So I
settled on a simpler layout featuring the battery dead center where it would
simply light up the letters in Google. One key idea I wanted to communicate was
how the voltage of the battery increased as the stack grew. I added electrical
gauges, or voltmeters, which would animate with the stack. In keeping with the
spirit of my reference, I added Volta’s name and the year he invented the
battery as typographic elements.


Having a basic design, I now needed to add more antiquated texture and detail
to make it feel as though it could have been the first advertisement for
the world’s first electrical battery. Switching to Photoshop, I layered in
old paper textures, re-tuned the values and contrast, found a cool engraving
filter and dialed in my fonts. I then sent it out for another round of feedback
and learned a couple more things: namely voltmeters hadn’t been invented yet
and the only kind of electric light that would have existed around the time
were early arc lights.

For the
sake of authenticity, I swapped out the gauges for the ornamental symbols
of Copper and Zinc, swapped out his name for the base elements of the battery,
but kept the illuminated letters for artistic license. With one final
suggestion to translate the text to Italian the design was done.
I
tinkered with different animation timing, finally settling on the letters
coming on one at a time to show the increased voltage now that the voltmeters
were gone, and saved out different formats for different platforms.


So that’s the story of my second Doodle. I hope it brings a little light to the
Doodle process and to this very interesting person. And just for fun, I made a
portrait version...



No comments:

Post a Comment